Monday 29 August 2011

Zucchini: plants and recipe

Is this not beautiful, as you can see the zucchini is  growing well. The photo on the right was taken on 17 August and the one with the flowers on the 26th. I can't wait to be able to collect some and I will probably give quite a few away. In my enthusiasm and ignorance, I planted 6 seeds and they all grew. My husband told me that it does not take any skills to grow them :(. I am discovering that he is right. I removed a few plants as they were overshadowing the eggplants which are still quite small.
As all vegetables, zucchinis are a good source of fibre and vitamin C. They have a high water content (95%) and are very low in calories.

 I have a great recipe for zucchini soup. The first time I made it was for friends and I only tasted it when we started our dinner! Dangerous but it worked. I could not believe how beautiful this soup is and everyone wanted the recipe! Here is what you do: In a medium pan fry a finely chopped onion in a bit of butter. Add 4 grated zucchinis and 2 crushed cloves of garlic and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add 1 litre of vegetable stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat slightly and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in approx. 60ml of fresh cream and season, to taste, with salt and pepper (freshly ground black pepper if you can). Serve immediately. The quantities given will serve 4 people.

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment