Tuesday 23 August 2011

Vegetable garden

Great news and I was very excited by this: we have had our first salad with our home grown lettuce!! We are growing the Arugula Wild, it has the most amazing fresh and spicy flavour. I combined this with homegrown parsley and basil and some nicely ripened tomatoes from the Tablelands. A simple vinaigrette, steak, a glass of wine and ... you can guess it, yummy!
I caught a few grasshoppers that were feasting on my bean plant and sage!! No longer, I used pyrethrum which I am told is natural. It kills the insect on contact but also repels them. The spraying needs to be repeated in a week's time.
I thinned out the zucchini plants as the large leaves were overshadowing the eggplant. Hopefully they will get more sun now and grow.
About six tomato seedlings were planted about 4 weeks ago and only three have grown, two seem to have collar rot. Even though they have 'collapsed' the leaves still look healthy so I will see what happens in the coming days.
In the meantime,

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment