Wednesday 27 July 2011

Vegetable patch and a recipe for beans

This is my vegetable patch when it was still being prepared on 3 July this year.
The photo on the right was taken 20 days later and shows the beans are ready to climb. Very exciting.

This leads me to share a recipe for beans. I especially enjoy them when they are prepared the 'French' way. Whilst the beans are steaming, I fry some finely chopped up onion and garlic to which I have added a little cut up ginger. When the onion is transparent, I add the diced tomato and a sprinkling of sugar. From here you can become creative and add some celery (don't forget the leaves, they have a wonderful smell and add great flavour to the dish), some fresh herbs such as oregano, thyme and/or rosemary. Simmer until the beans are ready which should not take too long. To serve there is the choice between mixing the tomatoes and beans together or place them next to each other on the plate. I always enjoy pork butterfly with that or a delicious home made meatball.... More about that later.
Bon appétit!

2 comments:

  1. My mother taught me her "french" way and I cannot honestly vouch for the frenchness of this recipe, but here it is.
    Tail the beans (where it came from the vine), then you can either french cut them (with a tool the splits them 3 ways and de-strings them. This slightly pointless as very few varieties if beans are stringy any more, but the think slices arr lovely). Stan these very gently and while that is happening melt a cube of butter and add a squeeze of lemon juice. When the beans are done then drain gently and serve on a plate with the melted butter and lemon. Wonderful with fish chicken & pork

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jennifer, this sounds delicious and I will have to try this. You would agree that he French have more than one way to skin a bean! I will get my hands on one of my 'French' cookbooks and I will let you know what I find

    ReplyDelete